Saturday, January 21, 2012

The joy of hummus

Sometimes, the old cookbooks are the best. I made hummus today from The Joy of Cooking. I have a 1975 edition.

It's so easy to make hummus that there's no need to buy it. I haven't found one yet that's edible, anyway. Have you?

I've adjusted the recipe to suit my taste. Make it in a blender if you have one. A food processor will work, but the consistency won't be as smooth.

Hummus

In a blender combine:

1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. sesame seeds
2 garlic cloves

Run the blender a bit, then while the blender is running add:

1/2 cup water

That makes the base for the hummus, called tahin. Add to the tahin and blend:

2 15-oz. cans chick peas, drained
juice from 1/2 to 1 lemon (to taste)
1 garlic clove (if you want more garlic)
1 tbsp. adobo seasoning (optional, just my touch)
1 tbsp. olive oil (optional, for consistency)
1-2 tbsp. water (optional, for consistency)
1/2 tsp. salt, if the adobo is sodium free

That's it! Hummus. Serve with pita points or raw veggies. Slather it on a sandwich instead of mayo. I might try drizzling roasted red pepper sauce over it and see how that tastes. It's fun to play with your food!

No comments:

Post a Comment